Your cart is empty
Essential Coffee Knowledge
An excellent starter kit for home enthusiasts and new baristas who are looking to journey through the world of Specialty Coffee and embark on the Seed-to-Cup experience. You will appreciate how each step of the value chain contributes towards a consistent good cup of coffee. You will also discover how coffee is grown and processed, and the factors contributing to a coffee’s unique, diverse and complex flavour characteristics.
This class covers the following content:
- The Coffee Cherry – discover that coffee is a fruit, and it has the potential to develop complex sweetness and flavours.
- Coffee Producing Regions – highlighting how factors like terroir and processing methods play an important role in influencing flavours in coffee.
- Roast Profiles – understanding how different roast levels affects flavour and aroma.
Sensory: Tasting Specialty Coffee
Whether you're a coffee enthusiast or a professional, the Sensory course can help you improve your coffee sensory skills and learn the basics of coffee evaluation. With a set of carefully curated olfactory and tasting exercises, the course will guide you in exploring the distinct sensory characteristics of Specialty Coffee. You will learn to identify and describe its acidity, sweetness, body, and aftertaste, as well as analyze the quality and intensity of these attributes.
The class contains the following content:
- Palette Awareness – using fruits and solutions to emulate acidity, sweetness and body that are commonly found in Specialty Coffees
- Olfactory Training – using the SCA Scentone T100 aroma kit to introduce you to the aromas commonly found in Specialty Coffee
- Coffee Cupping – using gustatory, olfactory, tactile and visual cues to conduct coffee sensory analysis with SCA cupping protocols